Friday, August 5, 2011

The Nurse, by Wm. Shakespeare

Last night I went to Brampton to see OLK play Nurse in Romeo & Juliet.

I hate Brampton. I had to leave work and go straight to the commuter train - the same train that I took when I lived in BF-Nowhere with the Ex-Wife. The train was 20 minutes late, as usual, and this meant that it was "squished standing room only" for the hour-long ride. It was disconcerting to see commuters that I recognized from 5 years ago, sitting in the same seats, talking with the same people, probably about the same crap. Kinda like this blog…

When I got to Brampton, I had to quickly find a place to eat dinner in an unfamiliar town that has an obese populace but relatively few restaurants. I found a pub, wolfed down a 1/2 pint and BLD, and rushed back to the concrete park where the performance was about to start. It was outdoors, so I happily lit up a cigar and prepared to relax. 2 minutes later, an announcement was broadcast asking people not to smoke. I was not about to throw away my $10 cigar, so I simply moved away from the crowd. The ushers kept giving me dirty looks, but I think my tattoos kept them from actually confronting me.
The play itself was great. The actors were all quite good, but the atmosphere wasn't appropriate for live performance. Along with a sound engineer that didn't bother to activate the actors' microphones until they were in their 2nd or 3rd line of the scene, there was music blasting out of the pub near the stage. And lots of old people and children that didn't have the respect enough to sit quietly through a performance.

Still, it was nice to have an evening with OLK, and it's always a pleasure to see her act.

No comments:

Post a Comment