Friday, November 19, 2010

Sniper In Training

I’m an impatient man, and readily admit that.
But one of the things that annoys me most is when someone is standing in the doorway of a busy subway train and won’t make room for others to get off.
It happened to me the other day. In the midst of rush hour at Bloor Station, one guy in his mid-twenties was standing in the doorway staring blankly at nobody in particular. Unfortunately, nobody could get past him to exit. They couldn’t get past me, and I couldn’t get out of the way until Dummy moved. So I made eye contact and said “can you move please?” He just ignored me and looked away.
Being the subtle gentleman that you know and love, I just walked through him laying my shoulder into his torso. He staggered back and off the train, and I followed. Stepped to the side to give the other passengers room to exit, and re-boarded the train along with Dummy. He glared at me, furious, and angrily asked “are we good now, a***ole?”
“We are as long as you show a little common sense.” I replied and turned away from him.
We avoided each other for the next few stops until I got home.

Late the next evening, I was waiting for the subway to take me home after a university class. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone fidgeting behind me. I looked back, and it was Dummy. Angry, glaring at me, he moved towards me as if to confront me on my actions. Mouth open, finger pointed at me, he stopped and backed up a little. Then seemed to change his mind and move back towards me. Then hesitated again. Finally, he gave me an angry look and stomped away.

I know maybe I shouldn’t have physically removed the obstacle, but I can’t understand how people think it’s acceptable to be so inconsiderate to everyone around them. He wasn’t disabled, he simply didn’t care enough to show any common courtesy or sense.

For the record, I also kick the cars that nearly hit me while cutting me off in intersections, hold doors for ladies, and say please and thank-you.

1 comment:

  1. The only thing worse than a stunned doorway stander is a stunned doorway stander with a fucking stroller. I ran into plenty of those last weekend in Edmonton. Makes me mental.

    I love that you are so confrontational! I do.

    ReplyDelete