Friday, May 3, 2013

Let 'Em Fly

Last night I heard more gunshots from the neighbourhood.

There were a lot last summer, but the winter was quiet.  I guess the gangstas calm down for the Christmas season…

To be honest, if it was just gansta shooting gangsta, a drug deal gone bad, whatever, I wouldn’t really care.  Early death is one of the expected results from that high-risk/ high-yield career path.  What does cause a problem is when bystanders get shot.
It happened a couple of times last year, and the mayor increased police presence in the area.  I don’t know if it helped or not, but I’m glad he did it.

I’m also glad we don’t live in the end unit of our townhouses – I was recently told that there are a couple of bullet pock-marks in the side wall, the results of a shootout last spring.

Still, when I heard the shots last night I was sitting on my porch with a beer and a cigar.  Talking to a neighbour, neither of us did more than flinch slightly. 

Acclimatization sets in…  Hand me another beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment