Friday, April 20, 2012

Boat Friday

Sailing season is starting soon, and I’m getting excited.

Tomorrow I’m going down to the club to step the masts and tune the rigging, as the sailboats were splashed into the water this week. It’ll be good to see those sailing friends again, as well as learn how to set the boats up. I missed it last year as I didn’t take my introductory course until May. Then, sailing season starts in a week!

If I haven’t mentioned it before, I’m a big fan of Nordhavn yachts. They’re ocean-crossing motorboats, and one of only 3 or 4 brands that are strong and stable enough to do this. Luxurious and tough, they appear to be a beautiful (if slow) way to travel the world. Unfortunately this quality comes at a price – their cheapest model, bought new, is around a million dollars.
I’ve never even seen one of these boats in person, but have been fascinated by them for a few years now. The other day, I was invited to crew on one that’s being moved from Lake Superior down to the Caribbean Sea. The owner is looking for a couple of bodies to stand watch for the Great Lakes/ St. Lawrence River segment of the journey, and through our internet networking I was asked to take part.  Two weeks of living onboard a luxury yacht, piloting it for 1/3 of the time? Sounds exciting!

Unfortunately flying into where the boat is now is quite costly. More than I can afford. The train back home afterwards is a drop in the bucket, but the flight into the USA is the deal-breaker. To be honest, after a year of sailboating, where you’re constantly trimming the sails and steering, pushing ‘Go’ on the autopilot and half-heartedly keeping an eye out for water traffic doesn’t seem particularly exciting. I’m actually worried that I’d be bored after a day or two. I reluctantly turned down the offer, it’ll have to remain a “what-if” for now.


Note:  The boat in this photo, Honu Kai, is not the one i was asked to crew, but the same model.  This one is for sale, asking price $1.2 million (used).  Photos can be found here, feel free to drool.

1 comment:

  1. I love the names that people call their boats and when I'm in a harbour, I always check out as many as I can.

    You imagine how much one of those puppies would be NEW?! CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete