Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Blaze Of Blase

It’s a strange time at work. 
I’ve started my new job, given up my old one, but my new projects don’t start for a few weeks.  I’m currently doing some ridiculous online training – “Business Writing Skills,” where I’m being told about using past- and present tenses in the appropriate places.  Seriously.  Last week I took one course that informed me what prefixes and suffixes were.  This position is a white-collar job requiring a university degree.  And I’m being re-taught Grade 4 grammar.
I was bitching about it last night to a friend, and she pointed out that I’m paid quite well.  And right now I’m paid quite well to do virtually nothing.  She’s right, it’s just an unusual mindset for me – I’m used to working frantically to cover too many tasks.  Free time is weird.

Last night was also sailboat racing, as well as work-bitching.  Our team is getting better, finally.  Thankfully.  We’re one of the more inexperienced crews, and have made it to the middle of the pack.  I suggested that our captain be a little more assertive – we need to hear ONE voice, not FOUR all believing they’re right.  He agreed, he’s normally quite pushy but doesn’t want to become the aggressive guy we sailed with last year (he was NOT popular).

I’m not going to bother going to the gym today, I just don’t feel like it.  Think I’ll head downstairs for a pint instead.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way with my Business Communications class and I'm not even in the workforce. Boring is boring, dude.
    Enjoy the free time...before you know it, you'll be up to your pits again!

    ReplyDelete