Thursday, May 10, 2012

Gay Marriage

Good for you, President Obama.

I've long believed that gay marriage should be legal.  And in Ontario, it is.

Maybe it's because I'm bisexual, but I don't understand how the government (or anyone else) can tell me that a relationship I'm having with a man is any more or less valid than a relationship I'm having with a woman.  Only I know that.  And I only sometimes know that.
Marriage between consenting adults shouldn't be an issue for anybody.  Period.  The only marriages that affect my life are those of my friends and family.  The guy in the office next to me might be married, or might not.  I don't know, and whether he is or isn't does not affect me.  Because of that, I have absolutely no moral right to tell him who he should and shouldn't marry.
If my friends or family are about to marry someone I don't approve of, that's a different story.  Their lives impact mine.  In this case, I think I have the right to express my feelings about their impending nuptuals.  But even here, I don't have the right to stop them - they are consenting adults who have made a decision.  And that concern could be related to gender (not likely), hygeine, personality, or any number of things.

Regardless of the fact that I have married a woman, I have loved men.  One who I thought I may have married, but our relationship ended before that question appeared.  I also married another woman before Wife.  That also ended.  Nobody can tell me that my love (or relationship) was more valid than the other, especially based only on their gender.

The issue of same-sex marriage nearly became an issue with marriage #1.  Long ago, I refused to get married to anyone unless gay marriage was legalized, for the reasons noted above.  I was not about to be told who I could and couldn't marry.  And until that was fixed, I was not about to partake in such a bigotted institution.  When it was legalized, marriage as an institution attained a morality I could approve of.  So I joined in.  After becoming engaged, the Ontario Government debated whether to repeal the legalization.  Ex-wife and I had a serious chat about what we would do.  I told her in no uncertain terms that un-legalizing same-sex marriage would lower the institution back down to an unacceptable level and, in good conscience, I could not partake.  She was extremely upset and offended, not understanding my moral view.  Luckily (or unluckily depending on your viewpoint), it ended up being a non-issue.

Back to the United States - I think that it is important for this concern to get Presidential Approval.  It's a huge step towards recognition and validation.  However, I don't think it was a dangerous move for Obama to make.  He has an election coming up, and as a foreigner I haven't noticed many strong moves in his term.  He has spent a lot of time helping his country recover from their previous government, but hasn't been able to make many steps to further improve his nation.  This shows a dividing stance, a decision, a dominant move.  Those who approve of gay marriage will want him reelected.  Those who don't approve of gay marriage would likely have voted Republican anyway, so he hasn't really lost possible votes. 

So even though it doesn't directly affect me, thank you Mr. President.

1 comment:

  1. That first wife of yours was a mismatch on many levels, wasn't she?! LOL! Anyway.

    I think government needs to stay out of people's bedrooms. I'm glad Obama listens to his family and his heart because that, to me, shows character. Some are saying he's a flip flopper but as the saying goes "When you know better, you do better." Seems like he's on the right track.

    Those right wing Americans? Scare me.

    ReplyDelete