Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Defensive

The other night I was walking home around Queen & Sherbourne streets.  This is not a great neighbourhood.  While I've never had a problem there, there are a lot of drug addicts, dealers, and hookers of questionable hygiene.

As I strolled along, suddenly a man leapt out of the doorway right beside me. In the blink of an eye I turned, aiming my fist towards his face. At the last second, I realized that he wasn't looking at me.  He was focussed on a car around 15’ away from me. There was a parking cop giving him a ticket, and he was rushing to save himself some trouble.  I quickly pulled back my arm and leaned out of his way

I don’t know if he realized that he nearly got decked HARD. Between my throwing the punch, and the speed at which he was moving toward me, it would have been a painful collision for both of us!

I don't know if I would have been in the wrong for assuming that someone jumping from the shadows is suspicious (in a druggy neighbourhood), or if he'd be in the wrong for just leaping out without looking to see what's coming.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you don't pack a gun! Yeesh! Maybe your testosterone levels are too high or you're making too much adrenaline or something.

    Although, could you have imagined actually punching him out? That might have made the news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not testosterone, it's a bad neighbourhood. you need to be wary there.
    And yes, i absolutely would have punched him if i hadn't realized in time that he wasn't coming for me.

    ReplyDelete