Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Snailblotting

Yesterday might have been the worst sail I've had in 12 months.

The evening was set up as an opportunity for members to shake off the dust, remember how to tie knots properly, and how to maneuver without making embarassing mistakes.  Or to just make them in the company of equals.

I was given a surprisingly inexperienced rating (by someone who I haven't sailed with) before getting boat assignment: with 1 very experienced sailor and 3 goggle-eyed gimps that couldn't aim the rudder.
I spent most of the evening bored out of my mind, sitting in the bow watching the horizon while the skipper taught the inexperienced members how to "turn to port, turn to starboard, no - other starboard..."  I really had to keep quiet - I didn't want to offend the inexperienced, and also didn't want to come across as a know-it-all.  I found it somewhat annoying that 3 of the 4 other people on board had been members longer than me - why didn't they actually try sailing?  Why ignore the membership you're paying for, only to arrive and impede me?  I understand that it's their right to attend as they see fit, but perhaps they should be assigned to their own crews.  That way my evening wouldn't be wasted.

I think the skipper noticed my boredom and started slipping the occasional racing tip into the "basic-level" instruction.  It would have been completely useless for them, and they wouldn't have noticed it, but it was good for me - this year my racing team's plan is to beat his team.  And we'll need all the help we can get!

I don't think I'll be going to the next one of these, or I'll get frustrated and end up like this guy:

1 comment:

  1. Yeah or you could end up like that other Skipper who went on a three hour tour with a Gilligan.
    Be careful out there! LOL!

    ReplyDelete