Friday, May 11, 2012

Preparing for Mother's Day

This weekend is Mother’s Day.

I was thinking this morning, wondering how my family in Hometown, Ontario would be coping this weekend. I might give them a phone call, just to say ‘hello’. Analyzing myself, I think I’m doing fairly well.

I got to work, turned on my iTunes, clicked ‘Random’ and ‘Play’. The first song to come on was David Bowie’s “Space Oddity.” This was a song that my mum and I used to play as a duet when I was learning the guitar. She’d plink along on the piano, with her rudimentary skills. It was the only song we could ever play together, but we both had a great time doing it. I have to admit - my heart dropped and I got a little emotional.

I think my parents had an unusually-strong influence on my musical tastes, growing up hearing records by Simon & Garfunkel, Elton John, Blondie, Roxy Music, Buddy Holly, and ABBA. And the occasional Bowie.

I miss you Mum. Happy Mother’s Day!


1 comment:

  1. Aww what a lovely memory! Your mom would be proud of you for having this kind of mindset, I think.

    ReplyDelete