Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Death And Cancer

Last night I dreamt that I was at a party full of old friends that I haven’t seen in 10-20 years.
While jamming out Buddy Holly’s ‘Not Fade Away’, my friend Earle walked up to the group.
“Holy shit, Earle, I thought you died!  I must have got you mixed up with another Earle ******* on Facebook.”  I was quite happy that I’d been wrong, thinking that he had died in a car crash a few years ago.
Then I woke up and remembered that Earle was dead.

I spent last evening at my friend’s house.  He’s having a tumour biopsied this afternoon, and is really scared.  He’s been through too much cancer treatment over the last couple of years, and a few months being “cancer free” were just getting him back on track.  It was great to see him, there were a few friends there.  He was laughing and smiling, but the occasional morbid half-joke showed us that it was weighing very heavily on his mind. 

I know simply being a friend will help his mindset, I just wish there was more I could do.


ps.  Did you know that in Ontario, having a tumour biopsied is considered ELECTIVE SURGERY and is scheduled 2-4 weeks in advance??? What a load of BS!


No comments:

Post a Comment